Sunday, July 11, 2010

Cooking cooking cooking

I've been cooking up a storm lately...okay maybe just the last couple of weeks. It's actually been quite fun. I told myself I was going to eat better and be more aware of what goes in my mouth. I will say I've cooked foods that might not be lower in fat and calories but they are better for me than what we've been eating. At least I'm getting in my food groups, having colorful meals and eating real foods instead of frozen or boxed meals. I'm not going to claim that I haven't been eating the dreaded "processed" foods because that's a stupid term everyone has been all hipped up about. Come on...everything goes through a "process." Milk goes through a "process" and I'm glad it does...drinking straight from a cow doesn't sound appealing to me. Anyways, check out what the Murdaughs have been eating...

I made the most amazing Curried Egg Salad from 101 Cookbooks (however, I can't find the picture I took so here is a picture of a previous egg salad I made).
This has to be one of my favorites. Blue Cheese and Red Potato Tart from Smitten Kitchen. It might not sound amazing but it is...you should try it.

You will also see in just about every pictures berries with this cream like sauce on top. MY MOST FAVORITE THING TO EAT. However, I'm so glad we finished it off last night. Eating it everyday is not a good thing for me. I'm getting fresh berries and other fruits daily but check out what's in this recipe from The Pioneer Woman. It's so good but I think I will go back to my regular yogurt for awhile.

Above, you will find The Pioneer Woman's enchiladas. I've had a few friends make this recipe so I thought I'd try it for myself. Yep, it's good. A little time consuming to make, but worth it. I invited Sarah and Matt over for dinner because while I was making it, I thought, "This is making a LOT of food." I called sister up and they were over in a jiffy.

Next is another great recipe from The Pioneer Woman. Carrot, Squash and Curry Soup I have a bit of an obsession with curry lately. I can't get enough. I love it, and I use to hate it. Who knows, just a change in my taste buds. I think it's a sign that I'm getting older. Boo. This meal was perfect. A glass of wine, a slice of toast and brie cheese with a nice big bowl of soup. A great summer meal. Oh, don't forget the berries and cream for dessert.

The night of the enchiladas I also made this little cake from Smitten Kitchen. Grapefruit Yogurt Cake. Oh my, is it good. You have to like grapefruit to like this cake. It's not a sweet cake and I left out the glaze to save a few calories. :) I didn't follow the instructions completely, it tells you to sift your flour and I didn't so it's a bit more dense then it should be but still tastes great. We ate it with berries and cream and a glass of wine. A great way to end the night.
Last, is my lemon ice. I got this recipe from my friend Brooke, which she totally made up one day when she was hot. Check out her post here. Anyways, I made some and it was STRONG with lemon flavor so I used that as my concentrate and froze it. Now, when we want something cold, I thaw a little bit of the concentrate and throw it in the blender with ice and sometimes berries and there you go! It's better than SDC's lemon ice! Thanks Brooke!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

BrookeS said...

LOVE this food blog!! Smitten kitchen and 101 cookbook are two of my most favorite places to experiment with new recipes!! Everything looks de-lish, girl. Keep up the cookin' :)

Sarah said...

Look at you, fancy! I love it! Thanks again for the invite for enchiladas! Gotta love thatt Pioneer Woman! You're a good cook sister!

foodierachel said...

You really can't go wrong with Smitten Kitchen and Pioneer Woman :) Looks amazing! That grapefruit cake is calling my name now...