Friday, March 25, 2011

Irish Meal: Corned Beef and Cabbage + Irish Soda Bread








I though I would be festive for St. Patrick's Day and make a traditional Irish meal.  
As I was cutting all the veggies, I realized there was no way Jarrod and I could eat it all or that my crock pot was big enough to cook it all, so I called my momma and asked to borrow hers and invited them for dinner!  The Irish Soda Bread from Panera came from my sister, it was a must have with our meal.  Delish!  
Here is the recipe I used:

     Ingredients:
1 (3 to 4 lb.) corned beef brisket
1 large head cabbage (preferably savoy)
8 peppercorns
6 cloves garlic, peeled
4-5 parsnips
1-2 turnips
2 bay leaves
1 pound carrots (not baby), peeled
6 large potatoes
1 stalk celery, very thinly sliced
3 whole cloves (spice)
1/2 tsp. Old Bay seasoning
1/4 tsp. black pepper, ground
Directions:
Wash brisket. Using a small sharp knife, cut tiny X slits in the meat and insert garlic and cloves pieces.
Place the meat in a large Crock-Pot and cover with water. Add bay leaves, peppercorns, Old Bay, 2 carrots and sliced celery.
Heat on high for 30 minutes. Skim off any foam that surfaces and set heat to low.
Meanwhile, prepare vegetables. Quarter the cabbage, peel potatoes, carrots, turnips and parsnips. Slice vegetables into 2 inch chunks.
During last few hours, add remaining vegetables and continue to cook for 2-3 hours, or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaves and discard.
Drain and serve with yellow mustard.
Total Cook Time: 5-8 hours on low, or until meat and vegetables are tender.

No comments: