Friday, January 14, 2011

Sourdough lovin'

My first attempt at homemade bread was a success! I made a simple sourdough bread...the hardest part was the 10 minute kneading process. However, I just counted it as my workout for the day. My arms are sore...seriously.
We ate this delicious bread with a big bowl of homemade chili. Look how domestic I am. :)


2 pkgs. active dry yeast
1 1/2 c. warm water
1 c. plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
3 tsp. salt
5 to 6 c. all-purpose flour

In large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; blend in yogurt and salt. Add 2 1/2 cups flour. Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. By hand, stir in 2 to 2 1/2 cups flour to form a stiff dough. On floured surface, knead in up to 1 cup flour until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 to 8 minutes. Place dough in greased bowl; cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Punch down dough. Divide dough into 2 parts; shape into balls. Place on greased cookie sheets. Cover; let rise again until doubled in size.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. With a sharp knife, cut 3 slashes in top of each loaf. Brush loaves with water. Bake 35 to 45 minutes, brushing with water every 15 minutes, until loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from pan immediately and let cool on a rack.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummmmm. I don't normally care for sourdough bread, but that looks delicious!

ACK + RTK said...

I am impressed....I haven't ventured into bread making land yet!

jencampbell11 said...

Yummy!!!