Monday, August 22, 2011

I love summer dinners

Image found here
Tonight I made a delicious dinner and it left me so thankful for summer food.  I'm not a huge fan of the heat (call me old) but I do love the fresh food summer brings.  I found this yummy chicken salad recipe on a new blog that I love, Iowa Girl Eats.  Here slogan is Eat Well. Run Often. Travel Far.  A girl after my own heart.  I just wish I ran MORE often then I do.
I tweaked her recipe a bit depending on what I had and what sounded good.

Mayo Free-Chicken Salad my changes are in the red.

Ingredients:
6 oz shredded chicken
1/3 cup dried cranberries (Dried blueberries)
1/4 cup sliced almonds (walnuts)
2 green onion, sliced (1 red onion)
2 small ribs celery, chopped
1 apple, chopped
Dressing:
1/2 cup plain Greek Yogurt
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
2 teaspoons soy sauce
squeeze of lemon juice
salt, to taste
2 Tablespoons flax seed
Directions:
Combine chicken through celery in a bowl. Mix dressing ingredients and pour over chicken mixture. Toss to coat. Serve!

Okay, so I changed the recipe more then a little bit but the base is the same, right?  I just sent everything through my wonderful salad master chopper and had it done in no time.  Also, I hate to admit this, but tonight was the first time I boiled chicken.  It was so easy. Ha. Who knew?

I put the salad on a sandwich thin and for the sides we had baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, a fresh peach and kiwi.  Zeda just discovered kiwi and LOVES it.  Delish and healthy summer dinner, it makes me feel so good.  I can't wait to see what we get from the farm tomorrow!

No comments: